My Story... How I Discovered My Purpose


In an earlier post, I mentioned that I would tell how I came to discover God’s purpose and will for my life. I hope that this will touch your spirit and for many of you recall some things that He has already placed in your spirit. This post is a bit long, but worth the read.

It was just a few months ago that I had this feeling of being unfulfilled. I felt that things were just not right in my spirit and in my everyday world. I had this feeling of uneasiness and couldn’t shake it. As mentioned in the previous post, I felt like a robot, living a programmed life of routine, wake up, go to work, come home, watch TV, go to bed and start the same routine all over the very next day. I felt like I was running in place, tired as hell, but going absolutely nowhere. And for those of you who know me personally, know that I do not like routine because I get bored very easily. So you know that this had me going stir crazy. I begin to pray and seek God’s wisdom because I was really restless. I couldn’t sleep at night; my whole attitude had changed including my body language. It seemed as if I was experiencing one disappointment after the other and that just made things worst. Something had to change.

One day, while out shopping, I came across this book by author Sherri Lewis (2010) titled, Dance into Destiny, and while reading that book, some things begin to click in my spirit and I knew it was God. If you have not read this book, please stop by to pick up a copy. It is a Christian-fiction novel and very inspiring. In Chapter 21 of the book, the Pastor was preaching about carrying out our purpose and the will of God for our lives. One of the passages read,

"I want to ask the question of each of you. For what reason were YOU born? Why are YOU here? What is YOUR purpose? What did God send YOU to the earth to do? Cause let me tell you something. If you’re not living for the purpose that GOD ordained you to live for, you’re not living. Jesus said it was His food to do God’s will. If you’re not doing God’s will, what are you feeding on? That’s why some of you are so miserable. You’re not doing what God created you to do. Five days a week, you’re depressed because you spend all day doing something you weren’t meant to. Meanwhile, the purpose of God lies dormant within you. And you wonder why your hair is falling out and you’re having panic attacks and you can’t sleep…Stop living the life others think you should live or that the American dream dictates."

After reading this, it was like the author was inside of my head, right down to the hair falling out, because it was, literally. I knew that I had to do something. I needed for God to move in my life, reveal what He wanted me to do, because I knew that it would be much better than what I was doing at the time. I kept reading, and after reading this next passage, things began to come together. I’m going to paraphrase some of what Sherri Lewis wrote in the passage, but again, please read the book in its entirety.

"Esther’s purpose and destiny was to save her people from destruction. Joseph’s purpose was to save an entire nation from destruction. Moses’ purpose was to deliver the Israelites from bondage. Joshua’s purpose was to lead God’s people to the promise land. And Jesus’ purpose was to save man from death and destruction. Who were YOU put here to save from destruction? Whose deliverer are YOU? If you don’t find the purpose of God for your life, what people may end up being destroyed? If you don’t do what you’re supposed to do, God will send deliverance through somebody else, but you’ll ‘die’. How many of you are ‘dying’ because you’re not living the life God made YOU to live?"

I begin to cry out to God because I was ‘dying’ on the inside, just as the passage stated. This book spoke to my soul. Those passages touched the core of what I was living. I was so full and needed to talk to someone, so I called a close friend and began to share what I was feeling and what I had just read in the book. He was very encouraging and told me to just continue to pray and be open to what God was revealing to me. He begin to remind me of how my writings and inspirational talks have made the difference in the lives of so many people including his own and that God had given me that gift for a specific reason. God has given me the gift of “gab”, talking, encouraging and motivating people. I listen to them and then let God speak through me to inspire and encourage them. I went to bed that night crying out to God and at 2:30 a.m., in the middle of the night, He woke me up, told me to grab pen and paper and then, He reminded me of the assignment that He had given to me several years ago. INSTANTLY, I was set FREE as I begin to write more and more of what He was revealing to me. He gave me all of the same details to carry out with the assignment, that He had given me back then.

God is so awesome, that He even confirmed everything to me through a pastor. My friend and I went to church that following Sunday and as the Pastor was ending his sermon, he begin to speak about fulfilling God’s will for our lives. He began to quote some scriptures, and I could not believe what I was hearing. He quoted the same scriptures that God had given to me that night at 2:30 in the morning. I begin to hit my friend on the arm, because I knew that it was God confirming everything that He had already revealed to me. When we got to the car, I pulled out my notebook and showed my friend all of the scriptures that the pastor had just quoted and what were already written in my notepad from God’s revelations to me. He will confirm it……Yes, He Will.

It wasn’t until I was literally at my wits end and ready to receive instructions and be obedient, did my Father once again reveal the assignment and details to me. This time, I will obey. Because I was disobedient then, I’ve spent years in the wilderness wandering to and fro. Now, I know what He has created me to do and I have the responsibility of helping women to discover and carryout their purpose and destiny, because, guess what, other people lives are tied into them living the purpose that God has created for them. Remember that our purpose is not about us but will benefit others so that they can fulfill God’s purpose for their lives.

Are you ready to discover God’s purpose for your life? Can you relate to the passages from book? What were you created to do? Whose deliverer are you? What gifts has God given to you? There are some people right now, who are lost or confused or feeling like I was because YOU are not living God’s purpose for YOUR life. Make the decision to live a purpose-filled life for God because someone else’s life depends on it.

6 comments:

  1. This is an interesting story. I often think I know my purpose then other times I feel lost. This post has me revisiting why am I really here on earth. I love and enjoy helping others reach there dreams. I am currently a recruiter but am limited to what I can really do. So maybe its time to start thinking outside the box. I have found that is the key when things become rountine and the needle is no longer moving.

    Lavett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thinking outside of the box is one way of tuninng in to what God has in store for you. It may not make since to you at first, but if it keeps jabbing away at you, take notice and ask God for His guidance. He's trying to move you. I pray that He reveals your purpose to you and that you begin to pursue it. There is a change, a shift in the atmosphere and God is doing some awesome things for those who are preparing and positioning themselves for this change. Be Blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that I am living God's purpose for my life, but this is a good reminder that we need to stay in tuned to God's will. We need to be dependent on him, and he will direct our path. I love that you have Jeremiah 29:11-13 on your blog. God does have wonderful plans for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Patti, I, too, believe that God has a preordained destiny for each of us. But we must seek Him to know what it is. He only directs our paths, if that path leads to His will for our lives.

    It's great that you are living His purpose for your life. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny how I came across this article tonight, but I must admit this is the Holy Spirit at work. Only today my friend gave a testimony in church about how she prayed for a particular patient on her job, and how she asked God to heal that person and reveal himself to her if he's really alive. To make a long story short, the patient has been healed and she was able to encourage others with that story. I say this to say that your story has really uplifted my spirit and has given me the courage to continue to seek God's will for my life. As D.r. Mike Murdock says, each one of us has an assignment, or someone we're assigned to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I totally agree with Mike Murdoch. I pray that God will reveal His purpose for your life so that you may begin walking in your destiny. Ask and it shall be given to you, pressed down, shaken together and running over.

    Walk into your destiny!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and participation on the blog are always welcome. Peace & Blessings