Prayer Works

(Disclaimer: Today's post is faith-based from a Christian perspective and scriptures are quoted from the Holy Bible).

Todays' blog post is on how to pray effectively. I feel that there is a special need for this post and I hope and pray that whoever this is for, that you will find the answers in which you seek.

People are always asking me to pray, at family functions, whenever someone is need of something, or when someone is going through something. I don't mind at all because I'm like the prayer warrior. People are also often asking me how to pray and what they should say when praying.

So let's start with the basic definition of prayer: Prayer is a dialogue (conversation) between you and God. There is no magic to it. You talk, He listens. He talks, you listen.

However, there are some things that you should be aware of and include in your prayer that would make it more effective.

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much (James 5:16).

In other words, prayers that are heartfelt and able to produce the desired results have an advantage.

I'm going to use the model of the Lord's prayer (Matthew 6: 9-13) to illustrate what I'm saying:

9: After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

You should start your prayer with reverence, adoration, recognition and importance of who God is to you. Hallow means to honor and to make holy. Enter into His gates with thanksgiving and into His courts with praise. Therefore, be sure to include worship, praise and thanksgiving to God at the beginning of your conversation with Him.

Recognize who He is to you by learning the names of His characterstics. There are eight redemptive names of God and I recommend that you learn them. This will increase your knowledge of who God is and how this helps you in your faith walk.

When I pray, I find it important to recognize exactly who He is with regards to what I am praying for. For example, if I am in a challenging situation, then I make specific references to Jehovah Nissi, who is my banner of victory, love and protection. If there are any challenges to my health, then I make reference to Him as my Jehovah Rapha, my healer. If I have a financial need, then I make reference to Him as my Jehovah Jireh, my Provider and supplier of all that I need.


10: Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

Here you are asking for God's will (purpose) for your life to be revealed to you and that you fulfill it here on earth. You are making your request that all of the things that He pre-ordained for your your life, be brought to past; that you walk in the manifestation of it. This includes your spiritual, soulful and physical walks. You are asking that He keeps your heart and mind constantly in love for Him, others and yourself. You are asking that He keeps your body whole and healthy, so that you can carry out His will for your life.

Most importantly, you are praying according to His Word. Pray the Word and not what you think God wants to hear. Pray earnestly and sincerely, but pray His Word as it is written.

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. (Isaiah 55:11)

11: Give us this day our daily bread.

You are asking God to supply everything that you will need for that day; your daily provisonal needs. This includes not only the material things but also the love, faith, patience, kindness, etc. Those fruits of the Spirit are just as important as the material things that you need. Besides, He already knows the material things that you need. He knew that you would need them before you did.

It is important to pray everday. You must make your requests on a daily basis. He says that His a grace and mercies are renewed EVERYDAY.

12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

Pray for forgiveness of your sins. And just as you are asking to be forgiven, you must also forgive ANYONE who has done any misdeeds to you. You can't have one without the other. You don't know how many times I have heard people say that they want God to forgive them, but they 'are not ready yet' to forgive anyone who has done wrong to them. Really? So what if God says that He is not ready to forgive you, then what?

You would be amazed at the wieght that would be lifted off of your shoulders and heart, once you truly forgive, including self-forgiveness. That's right, you have to also forgive and release yourself from past mistakes and bad decisions. Release it and let it go.

13: And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil:

God does not lead us into temptation, but He will allow us to tempted or tested by them. This is where His strengths are made manifest in your weaknesses. So pray for deliverance from those temptations. Sometimes we are tempted, even when we don't recognize it. But He has promised that He will never allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear (1 Corinthians 10:13).

OK. I'm about to go deep, so go with me, if you dare.

Matthew 16:19 states, "And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Did you get that? What it means that you have the power to make things happen on earth and heaven. This means that you can bind up those things that aren't God's will for your life; satanic forces and demonic spirits that would try to come against you to hinder you from reaching your destiny. Things such as sickness, poverty, confusion, strife, fighting, unforgiveness, homelessness, drugs and alcohol, adultery, envy and jealousy. Anything that is not God's will for your life, bind it up to the pits of hell.

Now, you have to turn around and loose those things from heaven that are God's will for your life. Things such as a healthy body, a healthy mind, financial provision, love, joy, peace, and faithfulness. Loose the angels of God to surround and protect you and those you care about. Angels are all around us, even though you can't see them. They are here to do God's work in our lives. So loose them to go forth and swing open those windows and doors of opportunities for you.

For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Here again, you are reiterating that you are in full agreement with wanting fulfill God's will and not your own. For He has all power and has endowed us with that power so that He gets the glory. Realize that His will is not about you, but about helping others and His love, grace and mercy are evident in our lives.

I pray that this article was able to enlighten you in your prayer time with God. Stay in faith. And please let the words of your mouth, line up with what you are praying. You can reverse the results of your prayer by contradicting it with what you say outside of  your prayer time.

Let the words of your mouth and the meditation of your heart be acceptable in His site.

Copyright© 2010-2011.

6 comments:

  1. Oh yeah! You had me at "prayer is conversation" Yep. Good post. We went over that format in church. Very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @LadyLee, thanks. I don't think that a lot of people get that prayer is a dialogue and not a monologue.

    I just felt that this post is needed by someone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Cassandra! Don't ever change who you are. May you continue to be blessed with the gifts that have been bestowed upon you.~smile

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks T. I appreciate those kind words. I go deeper with these kinds of postings as I am led. It is at those times when someone needs them most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I actually enjoy reading all of your posts! All of them have been enlightening and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. I'm glad that you enjoy them. That means a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and participation on the blog are always welcome. Peace & Blessings