Self discovery- self forgiveness

Let me preface this post by saying that I went to see the movie, “Eat, Pray, Love” (2010), starring Julia Roberts and written by Elizabeth Gilbert. I have not read the book yet, but the movie was great because I could relate to it. I walked away from that movie with thoughts and emotions all over the place. During the movie, I saw so much of myself in that character.

One of the main things that really touched a special place in me was when her friend in India told her that she needed to forgive herself for all of her failures and mistakes and the things that went wrong in her relationships. That hit home for me, because I’ve often found myself in a place of forgiving others, but not myself. There are some things about myself that I need to forgive. Not just those things that are in the past, but those that are very much in my present that I now realize that have had a tight hold on me, rendering me motionless. I must forgive myself. That is part of my journey of discovering who I am.



There are so many areas in which you can forgive yourself including relationships, finances, health, self doubt and self defeat. Things such as making bad decisions that cause hurt to yourself and to others, not being a better parent to your children, making bad financial decisions, and not really believing in yourself are all reasons to forgive yourself. Forgive yourself for the regrets that you still have in your heart. When you haven’t forgiven yourself, you will subconsciously do things that will sabotage your own life. It becomes a habit of self-defeat. Are you ready to forgive yourself?

Are you ready for the next phase in your life? Well in order to move to the next phase, you must first acknowledge where you are currently. Do you need to discover yourself? This is challenging for a lot of people, because they would rather not face the reality of where they are, in the now, in the moment and not really know who they are. But it must be done, or you will find yourself with the same thought patterns, making the same decisions and taking the same actions over and over again. It becomes a repeated cycle that keeps spinning a web of deceit, not to others but to ourselves. And the only way to break this cycle, so that you are on the path upward, is to be courageous enough to really discover who you are. It is not an easy task. There is more to you than even you know about.



Sandstone: Copyright © 2010.

2 comments:

  1. I am sitting here with tears in my eyes because I am so full. I know that it is time for me to move on from bondage but I'm stuck. Your post has made me realize that something has to change and I must face my fears and forgive myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. You must do it or it be harder to move on and upward in your life.

    The realization of this actually caught me off guard which is why my emotions were all over the place. I sat down and made a list of ALL the things that I needed to forgive myself for and I just did it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and participation on the blog are always welcome. Peace & Blessings