De-clutter Time


This post relates back to one I did previously called, Remove the Junk, that was written during the time I wrote the series on reinventing self. As part of the process of reinventing myself, I have been cleaning out my mental, emotional and physical space. In order for me to be the new me, with all of its spendor, there were some things that needed to removed. So, over the past week, I have been removing the junk from my mind, heart and my house.

There were some old notions and beliefs that I realized that I was holding on to. Hadn't really thought about them in a while, but here recently, they just kind of snuck up on me. I knew what all of that was about, so I just dealt with them and banished them from my mind and my heart. No more foolishnes up in this camp.

 I've been past the point of feeling sorry for myself, and you know what, everytime I think I want to slide back into that spot, the person that I've become, that which is me, won't let me. Every time something or someone tries to come in and steal my joy, I snatch it right back. I refuse to give my power away to anything and anyone, any more.

With that being said, I've also decided to de-clutter my house to. Because I am soooo serious about this journey, I've decided to get rid of all the old stuff, to make room for the new. That includes clothes, shoes, furniture (yes, furniture too), appliances, you name it, I've probably given it away. Of course, I had to keep some clothes, those that I wear and that weren't too big for me, but the others were given to the Kidney Foundation. They usually call me every 3-4 months to see if I have anything to donate. They'll send the truck around to pick up whatever I have for them.

Some of my family members probably think that I've lost my mind. And I would agree with them. I did lose that old mind, that old way of thinking, those old beliefs and old habits. Yes, I did lose that mind. But I have a new, transformed mind. One that believes that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. One that believes that happiness is what I make it. A mind that thinks on the good things that are in store for me. One that thinks that I am my own limitations, if I allow it. Yes, out with the old way of thinking and in with the new way. Out with the old mindset, in with the new one.

What I've learned a long time ago, is the I am not bound to 'stuff'. Some people cherish stuff, I don't. Some people place their value in 'stuff', I don't. Some people's whole life is based on 'stuff' and if they lost any of it, their world would cease to exist. Not mine. My value, my worth and world are not based on 'stuff' but based on who I am on the inside. Who I am is worth more than anything I can purchase with cash or credit. I know that and it is up to me to set the example for that.

Therefore, not only am I cleaning house from 'stuff', but I've also been cleaning my emotions from it as well. I've gone through the process of 'un-friending' some folks on Facebook and Twitter. These were mostly folks who I had no interactions with since we became 'friends' or those whose status I had hid because I wasn't really interested in what they were saying, especially if it was what I considered to be garbage.

I have also cleared out some personal relationships that needed to be de-cluttered. Some were long overdue, so it was just a matter of time. And this is in reference to all types of relationships, family, friends and colleagues. Some are probably reading this blog right now and know that this is referring to them. But, life goes on and I truly, truly wish them all the best.

"Now it's time to say goodbye, to all our company, M-I-C, See you real soon, K-E-Y, Why? Because I like you, M-O-U-S-E"

Copyright© 2011.

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't it feel great to get rid of the old and all the negativity that comes with it? Last October I purged my closet and my bedroom furniture. I also recently reduced my "friends" list on FB to 99 and that's where it's staying ... it could possibly go lower but it will definitely not go any higher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gone through everything in my house and decided whether or not I really needed those things. I gave away a lot and through out even more. I have also de-cluttered my friends list on FB too. I am now down to around 300 and that's a good number considering that 1/3 of those are family members including my Mom and her siblings...lol

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and participation on the blog are always welcome. Peace & Blessings