Heart Knowledge vs Head Knowledge

I was watching the Oprah Presents Master Class Pt I & II on the new OWN channel the other day, which featured her own story. And those episodes got me to thinking about some things which led to a lot of questions.

A lot of people can quote scriptures and passages from the Bible.

I am a child of God.

God is in control of my life.

I can do all things through Christ...etc.

I'm the head and not the tail.

They can quote all of the inspirational vitamins spoken by the best inspirational motivators.

Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

The best way to prepare for life is to begin to live. ~~Elbert Hubbard

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world. ~~ Harriet Tubman

The quotes and mantras are endless. I see them all the time on FB, Twitter and other forms of social media. People can quote the best of them.

All of this is certainly good HEAD knowledge, BUT how many of them really believe all of that in their HEARTS? And if they really believed it, why does their life not reflect it?

As I was watching Oprah tell her story, there were certain things that she said that she believed and her life is certainly evidence of that. She said that when she was a little girl (about 8 or 9), her stepmother made her remember the poem Invictus, by William Ernest Henley, in the span of 3 hours so that she could recite it one afternoon at church.  At the time, she didn't understand the meaning of this poem (it was just HEAD knowledge), but that poem always stuck with her and eventually, she really grasped its meaning and took it to heart (it became HEART knowledge).

Invictus Poem

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

This is one of the most powerful poems ever wrtitten. Oprah eventually got its meaning and if you really read it and think about it, you will too. Please take the time to read it and really think about its meaning.

There was something else that Oprah said to that really struck a cord with me. After she had done a couple of syndicated Oprah shows, making less than $30,000 a year (back then), her lawyer told her to OWN herself. Well, at the time she didn't really know what that meant, so he explained to her that by not taking a salary from the network, she would own herself and not be owned by them. WOW! And guess what? Yes, she did it and you know the rest of that story.

Now, back to my point of this post. There is a difference in HEAD knowledge and HEART knowledge. When something is just in your head, you can remember it, but your actions don't line up with it. You know it, but you don't apply it. The information is in your head, but hasn't really made its way to your heart.

But, when something becomes HEART knowledge, it is really rooted and grounded in you. It becomes a core part of who you are. It is a gut feeling that you know, that you know, that you know that what you truly believe shall come to pass. That becomes evident by the words you say, the decisions you make and the actions that you take. And those things become apparent in your life. There is no other way around it.

So, my other question is, if what they believe in their heart is not apparent or evident in their lives, then WHY not?

I want to take a guess at that and say FEAR. Not the fear that says you are a wimp or afraid of anybody. Chances are, a person is more afraid of themselves than they are of anyone else.

THINK ABOUT THIS FOR A MOMENT

1) People are more afraid of failing at something than they are at succeeding at it. That  leaves them not wanting to take a chance at anything. There is the fear that they wouldn't be as good as someone else who is doing what they really want to do. But here's a tidbit for you "You can only be the best YOU that you can be'. God did not intend to make you a carbon copy of someone else. You were designed with a specific purpose in mind and that was not to be a carbon copy of anyone else.

There is the fear that if they actually take a chance and do what they really dream of doing, then that will require MORE from them and they are afraid that they can't or won't live up to that challenge. You see, the Bible says that 'To whom much is given, much is required" (Luke 12:48). That means that if you want more and want God to bless you with more, then know that He is going to require you to DO more. Please understand that more will be required of you. But you can handle it, because what is in your heart will sustain you.

THINK ABOUT THIS FOR A MOMENT

If you say that you run your own life and you're the master of your fate, how is it that your life is defined by you fulfilling someone else's dream instead of your own? Why is that you put so much effort and time into accomplishing the things that they want, instead of the things that you want?

And if you think that's not true, if you work for someone else, ask yourself  if they determine when you work and when you do not or do you determine that? Ask yourself if someone else determines how much you're worth based on how much they pay you or do you decide based on what you charge?

THINK ABOUT THIS FOR A MOMENT

2) And then there are those people who are afraid of what others may say about them, if they decided to really master their own fate and take control of their own lives. That's right I said it. People are truly afraid what other people may say or think about them. They are in bondage to people, even if they won't admit it.

But you cannot and will not be the master of your own life if what you do is controlled by the thoughts and opinions of others. In that regard, they are controlling your life; not you. How many people have you given the reins to guide and control you?

You have to be bold enough to say that their opinions, don't matter. This is your life and it is o.k to separate yourself from those who don't see the value in what you have to offer through your gifts and talents. It is o.k to know that everyone won't think like you and everyone certainly won't take the chances and the risks that you are willing to take.

I am one person who can truly say that. I made the bold decision to work and fulfill my own dreams and not let anyone else determine my worth or my life. I have become the master of my fate and the captain of my soul. I'm not where I ultimately want to be, but I have made the steps down that road. You know the one, the road less traveled. And I know that a lot of folks have their opinions, but I honestly DO NOT CARE. And I'm not saying this in a negative way, just a certain one.

THINK ABOUT THIS FOR A MOMENT

And then there are those who are afraid of their own power. The gifts and talents that they have to offer can make a huge difference and make a powerful impact in the lives of someone else. And that scares the life out of them (pun is intended). They are afraid to live in their potential because they don't know how their own power will affect themselves as well as others. Their is greatness in all of us, but not everyone is willing to tap into it. 

Marianne Williamson sums it up best in a passage taken from her book A Return to Love:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

THINK ABOUT THIS FOR A MOMENT

I am certainly not the only one who has decided to master my own fate and walk in my destiny. Oprah is not the only one who has done that. But we are just two of the select many who have made the decision to operate based on what is in our HEARTS and not just in our HEADS because we know that what we truly believe in our hearts, shall come to pass (Mark 11:23-24).

Can you honestly say that you have HEART knowledge or just HEAD knowledge? What are you going to do about mastering your own life? Whose life is waiting on you to manifest your greatness?


Copyright© 2011.

12 comments:

  1. This was a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @chele, thank you. It was moving for me as I was writing it. God is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing that you stopped by and left a comment at Jeremiah 29:11...because when I came to visit you...I cannot believe how much this particular post speaks to my HEART and a HUGE decision that my husband and I are faced with. It certainly is a "God thing" that you wrote this post....visited me....and I came and read something that God is trying to tell me....thank you for helping with the confirmation! In His Most Precious Love....Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can honestly say that I possess both head knowledge and heart knowledge...and both grow with experiences and age. Very nice post! Following you back from Over 40!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... what a post you wrote! Really good stuff and so much to think about and look at in our OWN lives!! I truly believe (or at least try my best) that I live what I write about, post or say. Howver part of my trials and growth is due to many people around me and involved in my life over the years, that did Not live what they preached Or they picked out thing from scripture, etc. that Suited them. Many people see thing/situations and themselves the way they choose to only. And either refuse to or can't look at themselves in the mirror they way they really are. I certainly hope and pray that I treat people the way I want to be treated back. It took me a long time to OWN my life, respect myself as well as stand up for myself. That last part has only happened in the last few years actually.

    Great, great blog dear! Thank you again for finding me and inviting me over. We are most certainly on the same page in our attitudes and 'hearts'!! :-)

    Have a wonderful weekend, Nesey!!
    Hugs,
    Coreen xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Deb, I am so happy that this post was able to help you in some way. God is good and His timing is always right on time.

    Thank you for stopping by and I pray that He continues to speak to your heart and grant you the things that you desire.

    Peace & blessings
    Nisey

    ReplyDelete
  7. @EmptyNester...having both is an awesome featand not many can truly say that what is in their head, has not truly made it to their heart.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    Peace & blessings
    Nisey

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Coreen...one of the things that we have to remember is that everyone does not have the visions that we have. Some are still walking in blindness and we'll only frustrate ourselves when we keep trying to get them to 'see'. There come times when you just have to separate yourself from some people and remain focused on what God has called for you to do.
    Continu your growth and your journey and remain in expectation of the manifestation of the things that are in your heart.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    Peace & blessings
    Nisey

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right. There is a big difference between head knowledge and heart knowledge. It is so important to keep growing spiritually. Thank you for these insightful words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Patti..yes, it is important to continue to grow spiritually. I am ever on a quest to make sure that I am doing that.

    Thank you for stopping by and becoming a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no words for how awe inspiring that post was.
    It reminded me of how every morning my husband says Good Morning; do not forget who your father is today. Hold your head up...
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Doreen, thank you. And what an awesome way to start your day by reminding yourself who your Father is. Nothing can stop you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and participation on the blog are always welcome. Peace & Blessings